Any opinions about cool brewing devices?

Jim W
Brewmaster

Any opinions about cool brewing devices?

Post by Jim W » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:43 pm

We have been fortunate to have this board work us through our first few batches. We are brewing every other weekend, having a good time, and brewing some reasonably good beer. We have found only one real problem.
Since we are splitting our batches, THERE IS JUST NO ENOUGH DARN BEER. Which brings me to my question:
I have looked at some brewing devices for large batches, that are very cool looking, but are very expensive. Sabco Industries' Brew Magic System, for one. I thought it was awesome until I realized it was worth more than our mini-van. So are there any devices for brewing large batches, 10 to 15 gal., that are easily built, or less expensively purchased? And are there any kits out there for kegging that meet the same requirements? Thanks for all of the help and advice.

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:30 pm

I was going to post this link after the last meeting and forgot. The title is "Go from extract to All Grain for less than $10". The guy uses ONE vessel (a converted 15.5 gallon keg="keggle") for all the all grain steps. Hot Liquor Tank, Mash Tun, Lauter Tun, Boil Kettle, etc. is all just ONE single Keggle. It is capable of brewing 10-12 gallon batches. Plus, you can start doing all grain!

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/phpBB2 ... php?t=4650

See this link on my web page on how to make a keggle.

http://tinyurl.com/2qhkro

Basically, cut the top off the keg, drill a hole near the bottom and install a spigot. A welded one is cool, or go with the weldless one like I did. That and a good stable turkey fryer burner and you are set. I got a nice stainless steel burner from Sam's Club for sorta cheap and it is very sturdy and fits a keg perfect. It has enough BTU's to get that 13 gallons boiling!
Chris Norrick
Up Next: OVHA Barrel Brew
Fermenting:
On Tap: