What ya Drinkin'??

Dwayne_Delaney
Brewmaster

What ya Drinkin'??

Post by Dwayne_Delaney » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:54 pm

A place where you can share your recent pints.
Dwayne Delaney

"Beer is not a good cocktail-party drink, especially in a home where you don't know where the bathroom is"
Billy Carter

Dwayne_Delaney
Brewmaster

Post by Dwayne_Delaney » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:20 pm

OK, I'll start things off.....

Sailer Jubel @ the Gersthaus. Pricey at $6.95, but came in a really cool swing-top pint mini-growler, almost worth the price alone. Label was in German, but possibly a Fest/Marzen/Octoberfest style. Pretty decent beer; very malty with enough of a hop bite to balance it. My wife and I both tasted some chocolate with a fair amount of alcohol. Just wish it was a little cheaper. Prost!
Dwayne Delaney

"Beer is not a good cocktail-party drink, especially in a home where you don't know where the bathroom is"
Billy Carter

kbhale
Hophead

Post by kbhale » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:50 am

I been derinking this

Victory Summer Ale

11 gallons, Mash at 150-152F. 75% efficiency, OG 1.055, IBU 40.5 SRM 14.6

Grains
16 lbs Pale 2-row
4 lbs Vienna
1 lbs Crystal 60
1 lbs Aromatic
8 oz Light Chocolate malt

Hops
2 oz Northern Brewer (8.5%) -- 60 min
1 oz Liberty @ 15
1 oz Willamette @ 5 min

Yeast
British ale yeast / Nottingham yeast

First brewing of this recipe. Turned out very drinkable.

JohnD
Brewmaster

Post by JohnD » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:32 pm

Just finished a Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA. Lots of hops, thick, almost syrupy, almost like a hoppy barley wine at 9% ABV. Voted the best IPA in USA 2 years in a row. Good but not what I expected. If I didn't know what was in the glass, I'd think I had barley wine.
John Dippel

Barley, water, yeast & hops. The things dreams are made of!!

Dwayne_Delaney
Brewmaster

Post by Dwayne_Delaney » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:49 pm

Back to the hotel......finally. Founder's taproom in Grand Rapids. 14 beers on tap; all but 2 over 6.8%. I tried the Blushing Monk(10.3%), the Xmas Porter(6%), the Double Trouble IPA(8.1%) and the Breakfast Stout(8.3%). I wanted to try more, but 4a.m. comes mighty early.

Blushing Monk - Thin body, sour balanced with sweet, alcohol very well hidden. Not my favorite style, but still damn good..

Xmas Porter - I've tasted stouts that were much lighter that this. Bitter, loads of Chocolate, Smooth.

Double Trouble IPA - This tasted like their Centeninal IPA on steroids. Nice.

Breakfast Stout - Thick, THick, THICK.....did I say thick. The best oatmeal stout I have ever tasted.

Founder's has to be one of the best U.S. breweries. Their taproom is very spartan though. Food is limited to mostly sandwiches with free peanuts on the tables. Probably a 20 or so tables and 1 pool table. The crowd was mostly 20 somethings. Live music on the weekends. It was crowded and loud Wed. night. Wed. night is $2 off pints for Mug Club members.($50 annual membership).
Dwayne Delaney

Billy Carter

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:28 pm

They were unloading a truck at University Liquor so I looked through the new stuff and picked up:

Bell's HopSlam: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/17112
Upland Winter Warmer: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1170/16171
Chris Norrick
Up Next: OVHA Barrel Brew
Fermenting:
On Tap:

Dwayne_Delaney
Brewmaster

Post by Dwayne_Delaney » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:38 pm

Bell's Hopslam available at University Liquours. A hop monster from Bell's.
From the label: "A biting, bitter, tongue bruiser of an ale. With a name like Hopslam, what did you expect?"

Compared with Two-Hearted:
More expensive, slightly more bitter, a bit sweeter, and tons more hop aroma.(I didn't think that was possible) Kinda like sticking your face into a bag of fresh American hops.
Not as balanced as Two-Hearted, but a very nice beer for hopheads....know any? :beer2
Dwayne Delaney

Billy Carter

JohnD
Brewmaster

Post by JohnD » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:14 pm

Just finished an O'Hara stout, imported from Ireland. Christmas present! Expected something like Guiness, but this was much thinner bodied and had a lot less roasted, burnt flavor. Tasted like Coors answer to Irish stout. On a scale of 1-10, it's a 3.
:cry:
John Dippel

Barley, water, yeast & hops. The things dreams are made of!!

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:30 am

It's been a good week in San Francisco. Hit ThirstyBear Brewery the first night and had a nice IPA and good food, nice atmosphere. Made our way to the 21st Amendment Brewery the second night and had a so-so South Park Blonde. It was really loud in there and our waitress was really bad. Said they didn't have the Watermelon Wheat but I think they had it in cans as they've started a micro canning line. Sort of disappointed in this place. Got a Nonna Rose House Ale at Fisherman's Wharf, not too shabby, believe it was a Cali Common (steam) style not sure who contract brews it. Went to Gordon Biersch last night and got a sampler. The Marzen was very good so I got a pint. The Schwarzbier was also good. Food was excellent but again, the music was blaring and it was way to loud. I must be getting too old... Gonna hit Beach Chalet today and maybe try to hit Magnolia Brewery tomorrow. Still trying to figure out a way to bring back some brews. See you guys soon!
Chris Norrick
Fermenting:
On Tap:

Justin Rumbach
Brewmaster

Post by Justin Rumbach » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:45 am

Sounds awesome Chris! I thought Toronado was NOT to be missed in SF though? Lots of Russian River beers on tap - can you Pliny the Elder!

Have fun.
For everyone I haven't met, I used to live in Evansville and was a member of OVHA. After moving home to Jasper, and missing having good friends to brew with, I decided to try to start my own club. I am happy to say that I have been the president of the Dubois County Suds Club since 2006 (although I still miss my OVHA buddies)!

Dwayne_Delaney
Brewmaster

Post by Dwayne_Delaney » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:30 pm

New beers on tap at the Gerst:

Hoegaarden, Stone IPA

My suggestion is to try the Hoegaarden first; Stone IPA sort of desensitizes the old buds.
Dwayne Delaney

Billy Carter

Kenny Lucas
Brewmaster

Post by Kenny Lucas » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:12 am

I had both of those the other night. I was very disappointed in the Stone, must have been sittting in the line a while but the HO-garten was damn good. Then, I went back a few days later and the Stone had its usual superb greatness, too bad they wont always have this on, so they say.

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:54 pm

Sounds like we need to stop by after the meeting for an evaluation.
Chris Norrick
Fermenting:
On Tap:

Dwayne_Delaney
Brewmaster

Post by Dwayne_Delaney » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:12 am

Just tried a couple of the Longshot winners from last year, the Boysenberry Wheat and the Old Ale. Both are pretty decent. I liked the Old Ale better I think. I haven't tried the Dortmunder Style Export yet. The bottles and the box have the pictures and the names of the winning homebrewers.....kinda cool.
http://www.samueladams.com After going through all of the crap of entering your birthdate, click on the promotions link. (Scroll down and check out the funky Sam Adams beer glass.) Then click on the Longshot image, then on the winners list.

I also had the Bard's Tale Dragon Gold gluten-free beer tonight. Very unique flavor. It uses sorghum malt instead of the usual grains. Not bad.
www.bardsbeer.com

Note: All of these beers and more can be found at Westside Liquor at the intersection of Tekoppel and Uppper Mt. Vernon Road. I was suprised at how many good beers they had available; I hadn't been there in years. They also sell sixers of singles for $8.99. What a great way of trying unfamiliar beers without having to buy a whole six-pack. I wish more of the local liquor stores would do this.
www.westsideliquor.com (I like this website; you'll see why.)
Dwayne Delaney

Billy Carter

STiKY
Maltster

Kentucky Ale Bourbon Barrel

Post by STiKY » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:41 pm

Kentucky Ale in general is on my low list of ales, however their Bourbon Barrel offering offers something unique and different.

Aged in Bourbon Barrels the alcohol varies depending on the amount soaked into the wodden barrels.

Good oaky flavor with hints of caramel and strong bourbon flavors.

Very full beer that is made for sipping and very rich. If you can find it I definitly recommend trying it.
-JROD
Primary: Nada
Secondary: Honey Lager
Bottle Conditioning: Nada
Aging in the Closet: Belgian Strong Ale, Dog Fish Head World Wide Stout
In fridge: Bell's Hopslam, Great Lakes Holy Moses, Stella