25ft copper tubing

Michael Erwin
Brewmaster

25ft copper tubing

Post by Michael Erwin » Wed May 06, 2009 7:18 pm

I'm just about to build an immersion wort chiller, and I'm looking for 25ft of copper. What I see around town (lowes, home depot, ace) is 50ft coils.

So, I'm looking for another source, or for someone that wants to split the cost.

Ideas? Takers?
Michael Erwin
------------
Some people say the glass is half empty.
Some say it's half full.
I just want to know who's drinking my damn beer!

Don
Brewmaster

Re: 25ft copper tubing

Post by Don » Wed May 06, 2009 10:15 pm

I know they sell a lot of 25' 1/2" copper chillers but you might want to consider going a little bigger.
I built my first wort chiller from 25' of 1/2 " copper ..
By the time you have @ 2' on each end coming out of the pot that gives you 21 ' to cool with.
It worked ok, (15-25 minutes) in the winter /spring time but in the summer it ended up taking too long, so I took another 25' and coiled it inside the original coils and teed the inlets together and that made a big difference.

I now use a Terminator (plate-type wort chiller) and my copper is just collecting dust, you are welcome to borrow this and try it out before you build yours if you want.

Don
Don Heisler

-------------------------
Brewers make wort, yeast make beer, God is good.

Don
Brewmaster

Post by Don » Fri May 15, 2009 9:53 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/Huge-wort-chiller-f ... 7C294%3A50
I saw this on Ebay today. It doesn't say if it's 1/2 or 3/8" copper but 50' of copper already rolled with Garden hose attachment, 8' discharge hose for $32 and I checked shipping to Evansville was $12.

Seems too low to be true.
$43 shipped... This might be worth checking out!

Don
Don Heisler

-------------------------
Brewers make wort, yeast make beer, God is good.

BM1
Brewmaster

Post by BM1 » Fri May 15, 2009 10:06 pm

Hay,consider this.Buy the 50' roll and use 1/2 to make an emersion chiller and the other 1/2 to make a pre chiller to go into a 5 or 10 gallon water cooler for pre chilling your chilling water.Sounds like too many chillings in one sentence. :lol:Some people don't have enough chillings and they have to adopt one :D
You gonna stop whinin' 'bout that beer,or you gonna send it to me?
Friends don't let friends brew drunk!
Signed:Steve Sluder.

Michael Erwin
Brewmaster

Post by Michael Erwin » Wed May 20, 2009 11:30 pm

I ended up getting a really good deal on a 50-ft roll of 3/8" that had a few feet cut off of it, from Ace Hardware on the north side. I told them the price per ft was too much, and they worked it down to a really reasonable price.

I used it last week on my first all-grain. Worked like a charm, had the wort under 80F in about 14 minutes.
Michael Erwin
------------
Some people say the glass is half empty.
Some say it's half full.
I just want to know who's drinking my damn beer!

john mills
Brewmaster

Post by john mills » Thu May 21, 2009 8:15 am

Good deals are out there, and you never know where it might be. This is a hobby that can be done on the cheap. The only limits are your patience, and your imagination to fabricate equipment you need. It's amazing how much brewing "stuff" you can collect over the years.
You gonna buy one, or be one?
.....I'm gonna be one!

BM1
Brewmaster

Post by BM1 » Wed May 27, 2009 6:36 am

I got mine down to 78*in about 15 minutes.Getting from there to 67*with 72* water was the real problem :oops: .Need to re think my ice bath.I WILL suck seed eventually :beer2 !

:beer6 ................................................................... :beer6
You gonna stop whinin' 'bout that beer,or you gonna send it to me?
Friends don't let friends brew drunk!
Signed:Steve Sluder.