5.2 Stablizer.

BM1
Brewmaster

5.2 Stablizer.

Post by BM1 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:06 pm

I recently bought a PH meter at a bargain price to find that part of the bargain included that it did not ship with any buffer solutions for calibrating it (hmm... :?: ).Well,I shelved it for a while waiting for buffer powders from China which took 2 months to arrive via rickshaw.Meanwhile,I brewed a few beers using 5.2 stablizer in the mash in 2 of them.They were looking OK by the dip sticks;all around high 4- low 5 range.Exept a weizen ale without 5.2 stablizer which was definitly in the low 4 range at finish.When my buffers finally arrived,the latest brew was for bottling and per PH meter was @ 5.2 PH exactly.I'm wondering if this is a coincidence or is the 5.2 stablizer still buffering my brew? Anybody know?
You gonna stop whinin' 'bout that beer,or you gonna send it to me?
Friends don't let friends brew drunk!
Signed:Steve Sluder.

psfred
Brewmaster

Re: 5.2 Stablizer.

Post by psfred » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:10 pm

That 5.2 is fairly strong stuff. Beer should normally be around pH 4.5 when it's finished and carbonated -- might be a bit higher without carbonation as the CO2 makes carbonic acid in water.

I've used the 5.2 for years now, much less hassle than a pH meter. Probably get better results with actual pH control via the meter, but not enough better to flog away at it.

Peter