Leaving BIAB....maybe.....

Blancaster
Brewmaster

Leaving BIAB....maybe.....

Post by Blancaster » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:56 am

So I broke down on Black Friday and purchased a mash tun igloo cooler. Going to try my hand at true all grain rather than the BIAB method. Want to see if this makes a difference in my beers.
Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!
One question I do have, when mashing with BIAB I always stirred the mash about every 15 min. Everything I'm reading says nothing about stirring in a mash tun. Is this step not necessary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brandon Lancaster • OVHA Board Member

SkyBrew
Brewmaster

Re: Leaving BIAB....maybe.....

Post by SkyBrew » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:19 am

Stir the mash, that's what the paddles for!
Sky B.

Blancaster
Brewmaster

Post by Blancaster » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:40 am

How often should I stir? Won't I lose heat? In BIAB I am able to fire up if need to increase temps.

SkyBrew
Brewmaster

Post by SkyBrew » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:44 pm

Stir the crap out of it while you are adding the water to it. I put water in first maybe like 1/4 volume, then add little grain, then stir, then more water, then more grain then stir. Once its full and mixed up really well where I am confident there aren't any dry patches I come back and stir maybe every 15-20 minutes or so. My efficiency shot up 10% when I switched away from a cheap bendy plastic mash paddle to a big solid wooden mash paddle. And for a cooler if you mash in at say 152, you will need to heat the water to around 162-5 because it will loose heat during the transfer and then during the mash. Same with sparge :beer4
Sky B.

Blancaster
Brewmaster

Post by Blancaster » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:47 pm

Thanks for the info! I have a "Dutch made" paddle!
One other question beer smith shows on the mash steps a 2 minute rise time... What the heck is a rise time?

SkyBrew
Brewmaster

Post by SkyBrew » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:54 pm

20 minute rise time maybe? they are talking about doing a step up mash where you start at one temp and then increase the temp. I don't do it, there have been mixed studies on infusion mashing.

Over 80% of all grain brewers use a simple one stage infusion or single stage temperature mash, typically with either an insulated mash tun such as a water cooler or a mash tun over a heat source to maintain the mash step temperature. Beersmith recommends using a single infusion or single stage temperature mash if you are new to partial mash or all grain brewing.

Here is something on it on the Beersmith help site

http://www.beersmith.com/Help/using_mash_profiles.htm
Sky B.

Blancaster
Brewmaster

Post by Blancaster » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:35 pm

Here is an example. All values were prefilled by recipe and beersmith
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

john mills
Brewmaster

Post by john mills » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:46 pm

In a cooler I only stirred during mash in. Once everything was wet, I just put the lid on and let it sit. After an hour, I'd run off about 1/2 gallon then pour that gently back in to clear the runoff, then sparge with 180 degree water till I got the volume I wanted to boil.
In my 5 gallon cooler it would loose 1-2 degrees in that hour depending on how full it was. I could fit 13 pounds of grain with a thick mash in the 5 gallon cooler.
You gonna buy one, or be one?
.....I'm gonna be one!

SkyBrew
Brewmaster

Post by SkyBrew » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:46 am

I agree with what John said. That is pretty much exactly the same process I use.
Sky B.

sirgiovanni
Brewmaster

Post by sirgiovanni » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:13 am

Blancaster wrote:So I broke down on Black Friday and purchased a mash tun igloo cooler. Going to try my hand at true all grain rather than the BIAB method. Want to see if this makes a difference in my beers.
Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!
One question I do have, when mashing with BIAB I always stirred the mash about every 15 min. Everything I'm reading says nothing about stirring in a mash tun. Is this step not necessary?
:twisted: :beer2 :twisted:
What would Jesus Brew?
Jimmy