Electric Co.

Michael Erwin
Brewmaster

Electric Co.

Post by Michael Erwin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:14 am

Starting a new topic for links and discussion on electric breweries. I have a few links I'll post below later today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897
Michael Erwin
------------
Some people say the glass is half empty.
Some say it's half full.
I just want to know who's drinking my damn beer!

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Re: Electric Co.

Post by Chris Norrick » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:49 am

I'm still in the testing stage but here is my Phase Angle Controller for a 5500 watt element. It will draw about 21 amps full on. It is not PID temp controlled. It is all manual with a simple dial to turn up the amps. It uses a resistance adjusted Solid State Relay (SSR) rated to 40A and a pot dial.

I do have another voltage adjusted SSR to use with a PID controller so I may build it out to for a mash controller with a "Heat Stick" like was posted in the BIAB thread.

I'm bummed out that the 50A GFCI breaker that was in the Spa Panel I purchased will not fit in my breaker box so I'm trying to figure something out. FYI: You need a 5ms rated GFCI. The slower ones are rated for equipment protection, not human.
photo.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Norrick
Up Next: OVHA Barrel Brew
Fermenting:
On Tap:

SkyBrew
Brewmaster

Post by SkyBrew » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:55 pm

Hi, I saw that on Amazon right now they have Goldsource STU-1000 Step Up/Down Voltage Transformer Converter - AC 110/220 V - 1000 Watt as a lightning deal for Deal Price: $39.00 & FREE Shipping. It made me think of all the electric brewers using 220-240v instead of 110-120v

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003OPFJD6/ref ... 1673797982
Sky B.

john mills
Brewmaster

Post by john mills » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:33 pm

Way more advanced than I could use, but really neat:
https://www.brewershardware.com/BCS-Bre ... ntrollers/
You gonna buy one, or be one?
.....I'm gonna be one!

SkyBrew
Brewmaster

Post by SkyBrew » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:27 pm

has anybody seen this yet?

http://morebeer.com/products/blichmann- ... l-120.html

his new Blichmann Engineering innovation redefines electric heating! Unrivaled performance, speed, and simplicity. Just plug in a BoilCoil™ immersion heater for immediate, high efficiency heat. Ideal for indoor brewing and a perfect companion for your BoilerMaker­™ brew pot. It is easily installed in your previously purchased BoilerMaker™ pot, or most other manufacturers pots by drilling two small 5/8" holes with our handy drill template. We include a "plug and play" 12 ft factory wired cable with a molded twist-lock plug on one end, and our custom removable plug on the other end. Hot, fast, and easy. Just the way you like it.

Features:

Each BoilCoil™ is engineered to perform optimally in your BoilerMaker™ brew pot for consistent heating performance, boil quality, and boil-off rates.

Removable custom engineered plug means cleaning is a snap - no dangling power cord tethered to your pot!

Coil configuration hugs the wall of the pot to encourage convective boil characteristics to drive off DMS and other volatiles and doesn't interfere with whirlpooling

The BoilCoil™ includes a "plug and play" 12 ft factory wired cable with a molded twist-lock L6-30P plug on one end, and our custom removable plug on the other end.

LESS THAN Ultra low watt density means NO chance of scorching, and dry-fire capable (although we certainly don't recommend this!).

Simple installation requires drilling only two small 5/8" holes with our handy drill template.

No risky welding or cutting massive holes in your pot to install, and features a professional and reliable connection and sealing system engineered specifically for homebrew kettles.

The BoilCoil™ will fit in most competitive pots too! See data tab for dimensional drawing.
Sky B.

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:22 pm

Blichmann himself was brewing on one at NHC. It was impressive.

I've made a half batch on my new indoor pilot Induction setup. Tough to judge its performance on this one batch because it was a Wee Heavy and all sorts of odd things going on that I don't normally do like 2 hour boils. When it's done fermenting I'll do a "normal" beer on it and see how it goes then maybe do a presentation to the club.
Chris Norrick
Up Next: OVHA Barrel Brew
Fermenting:
On Tap:

SkyBrew
Brewmaster

Post by SkyBrew » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:01 pm

I would love to go electric but it is really confusing for me. This might be the easy way to go electric since its all set up already.

On Blichmann's website it says "the electric controllers for the BoilCoil will be available in mid to late July."

http://www.blichmannengineering.com/new ... oming-soon
Sky B.

sirgiovanni
Brewmaster

Post by sirgiovanni » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:41 pm

Electric with a controller would benefit me in Mash only in my perspective. A shame it's oversized for being contained under the false bottom.
What would Jesus Brew?
Jimmy

SkyBrew
Brewmaster

Post by SkyBrew » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:37 pm

This one is suppose to be ok for mashing

http://shop.greatfermentations.com/prod ... Mgod12IAoA
Sky B.

msjulian
Brewmaster

Post by msjulian » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:31 pm

You might want to check with Don H. but I think you can build a 120v rims for you mash tun for a lot less then $270.00
Michael Julian

sirgiovanni
Brewmaster

Post by sirgiovanni » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:27 pm

Cool Sky, thanks a bunch
240V huh?

Is Don UL rated? :twisted: :D
What would Jesus Brew?
Jimmy