How about an Equipment Thread?!

msjulian
Brewmaster

Re: How about an Equipment Thread?!

Post by msjulian » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:59 pm

Did you passivate your kettles? I have been reading (probably too much) about passivating SS kettles before use and was just wondering if it is really needed.
Michael Julian

Don
Brewmaster

Post by Don » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:10 pm

msjulian wrote:Did you passivate your kettles? I have been reading (probably too much) about passivating SS kettles before use and was just wondering if it is really needed.
What I do :
Bar Keeper’s Friend is an oxalic acid cleaner that’s great for stainless steel. The acid reacts with the metal to form the protective layer inside the brew kettle. Simply sprinkle the Barkeeper’s Friend into the kettle with just enough water to make a thin paste. Spread it around the kettle with a washcloth. After several minutes, rinse the brew kettle very well, and wipe dry with a towel. - See more at: http://www.eckraus.com/blog/cleaning-a- ... Wwuwg.dpuf

PASSIVATION:
The resistance of stainless steel to corrosion and discoloration is, in part, due to the existence of a film of surface oxidation that protects the metal. Improper or excessive use of chlorine-based sanitizers or contact with steel wool, steel tools, or steel parts can damage this film.
A technique known as passivation can be used to provide a chemically clean surface that will aid in the re-formation of the surface oxide layer. The oxide film forms naturally on clean surfaces exposed to the atmosphere, but contact with acid mixtures containing oxidizing agents can enhance its formation. An acid wash also serves the important function of dissolving any free-iron contamination on the surface of the stainless steel. Passivation is therefore recommended as a cleaning procedure to remove rust spots and free-iron deposits (the accompanying box outlines the basic procedure). It should be used on sanitary surfaces of stainless equipment after any fabrication work.

Step 1. Prepare a 50% (v/v) nitric acid solution by pouring an equal volume of concentrated nitric acid into an equal volume of water in a container that will not be attacked by the solution. (Nitric acid is available in 50% strength. Phosphoric acid may be used as a substitute.) Best results will be obtained if the temperature of the passivating solution is maintained at 130 °F (54 °C). Use extreme caution when using nitric acid; it is a very dangerous chemical.

Step 2. Apply the passivating solution to the complete surface. Cover all areas several times. Keep the surface wet with the acid solution for about 1 h. With a small vessel (15 gal or less), it is easiest simply to fill the vessel with the passivating solution and let it soak. When dealing with larger vessels, passivation via a spray-ball system is very effective.

Step 3. Rinse the vessel thoroughly with clean, warm water to remove all traces of acid. Wipe with a clean cloth (wet or dry). If no discoloration appears on the cloth, the surface is conditioned and ready to use.

Passivation is not a permanent treatment. Stainless steel surfaces can become recontaminated and corroded if proper care is not taken.

No I don't do this.. :D
Don Heisler

-------------------------
Brewers make wort, yeast make beer, God is good.

msjulian
Brewmaster

Post by msjulian » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:23 pm

From what I have read ( http://www.spaco.org/Passivate.htm ) the "Bar Keepers Friend" method takes a few weeks for the chromium layer to re-oxidize.
Michael Julian

Blancaster
Brewmaster

Post by Blancaster » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:34 pm

Brandon Lancaster • OVHA Board Member

msjulian
Brewmaster

Post by msjulian » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:47 pm

This is what I read on the use of phosphoric acid (the main ingredient in star san) when it comes to passivating...

Phosphoric acid is used as a chemical-cleaning agent for stainless steels.
It is used in commercially available stainless steel cleaning preparations and so if used in accordance with the manufacturers / suppliers instructions will not etch or corrode the steel surface.
Phosphoric acid is not considered to be a 'passivating' acid but the clean surface left after treatment should allow the stainless steel to naturally self passivate.

I think it will accomplish the same thing as Don's Bar Keepers Friend method after the oxygen in the air gets to for several days.
Michael Julian

Blancaster
Brewmaster

Post by Blancaster » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:13 pm

I have also read using acid #5 is good to use
http://www.store.homebrew4less.com/Misc ... ucts/1341/

Blancaster
Brewmaster

Post by Blancaster » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:18 pm

just my new 15 gal pot in and set up. Has a pretty nifty trub dam/pickup tube.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

msjulian
Brewmaster

Post by msjulian » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:24 pm

Got my kettle today. Looks to be pretty well built. The sanitary joints inside the kettle are very well done. Only thing I think could be better at this point is the thermalwell could be shorter.
image.jpg
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael Julian

cmajeff
Maltster

Post by cmajeff » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:00 am

Nice setup
Currently Drinking

Irish Stout
Dark Winter Ale
Irish Chocolate Coffee Stout
Octoberfest
Nut Brown Ale
Red Ale

Currently Brewing:
Citris-Raisin Mead
Sweet Ass Pecan Pie Ale
All Grain Porter

msjulian
Brewmaster

Post by msjulian » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:56 pm

Fits like a glove...
image.jpg
Michael Julian

msjulian
Brewmaster

Post by msjulian » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:44 pm

14 gallon 90 min boil on a bock. A little tight but looking good...
image.jpg
Michael Julian

SkyBrew
Brewmaster

Post by SkyBrew » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:00 am

This thing is pretty neat. Its called a "Coolbot". It basically allows you to DIY your own walk in cooler using it and a energy star window air conditioner.

http://www.storeitcold.com/
Sky B.

BREWsmith
Brewmaster

Post by BREWsmith » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:59 am

SkyBrew wrote:This thing is pretty neat. Its called a "Coolbot". It basically allows you to DIY your own walk in cooler using it and a energy star window air conditioner.

http://www.storeitcold.com/
I'm planning to use one in my cold room. I saw one in action at a Seattle nano. It works quite well.
Jeff Smith

Don
Brewmaster

How about an Equipment Thread?!

Post by Don » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:56 am

My latest upgrade. 10 cu. ft. 6 tap Keezer
My SS drip tray is on back order.

Don Heisler

-------------------------
Brewers make wort, yeast make beer, God is good.

BREWsmith
Brewmaster

Post by BREWsmith » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:35 am

Very nice Don!
Jeff Smith