Kegging Questions

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Kegging Questions

Post by Chris Norrick » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:14 pm

I've made up my mind to do less less bottling. I don't have fridge room or want to transport 5 gal kegs, so those 2.5 gal ones are looking perfect for me. Add one of those ball lock taps and mini CO2 canisters like this:
and I'd be in heaven. Trouble is, this set up is rather expensive from MoreBeer. It's not the taps and co2, it's the dang 2.5 gal Kegs. They only sell new ones :cry: . Has anyone seen used ones anywhere? 3 gallons would work fine too, that would still leave me with some bottles for gifts, meetings, etc.

I thought about just DME priming the kegs and using the above system to dispense, but now I'm thinking I should just get a regulator and CO2 tank to force carbonate. Where do you guys get your tanks filled at?

-Chris

Dwayne_Delaney
Brewmaster

Post by Dwayne_Delaney » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:10 pm

Occasionally I
Dwayne Delaney

"Beer is not a good cocktail-party drink, especially in a home where you don't know where the bathroom is"
Billy Carter

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:21 pm

That's not cool. I pass by a welding supply shop on Fulton on my way to work, I'll stop in there and ask their rates.

I loved that article! I have a paintball tank sitting here doing nothing! Time for a project. They're always a little more fun with a little danger involved. What about getting the 5lb tank filled at a paintball shop too? Wonder if they do that without the attitude and overcharging? There used to be a couple in town somewhere. I think the one close to me closed.

I went ahead and got a 3 gallon Keg kit off of eBay tonight. I needed to get the co2 tank and regulator anyway to force carb the keg to use with the little co2 bulb thingy. Which is made by the same company that makes my mountain bike co2 tire inflator. Too bad it doesn't have a threaded end on it, I could save a few bucks! I'm using it to purge my secondary now. I still want some beer in bottles, so the 3 gallons keg should be about right...I guess... just have to remember to adjust my DME priming amount.

Porter should go in the secondary tomorrow! :beer8 Although the krausen hasn't fallen yet. Should I be worried?

Dwayne_Delaney
Brewmaster

Post by Dwayne_Delaney » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:49 pm

Let me know how the paintball tank works; that's a project I've had on the back burner for awhile.
Dwayne Delaney

"Beer is not a good cocktail-party drink, especially in a home where you don't know where the bathroom is"
Billy Carter

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:47 pm

InWeld was the industral gas place, they don't fill CO2 at all. I'll call the Paintball Players MD place tomorrow, they're only open Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun.

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:36 am

Good news! Paintball Players MD will happily fill a 5# for about $12. They charge $.15/oz. I'm going there tonight to get my new tank filled and will post a 'review'.

They're off of Weinbach on Oak Hill. They have directions on their web page.

EDIT: Very friendly, a brand new completely empty 5# tank was $10 to fill. The place is easy to find. They have several signs and a large white school bus! Plus they're open till 8.

Chris Norrick
Brewmaster

Post by Chris Norrick » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:10 pm

Got all the keg stuff hooked up tonight and tested and didn't kill my self with the CO2 :shock: . The eBay auction was for 1 new 3-gallong keg, co2 tank and regulator plus hoses and picnic tap. I received 3 referbed 5-gallon kegs and all the other stuff, so there you go, sometimes eBay isn't evil. Price difference isn't that great since the damn new 3-gallon kegs are so expensive but I'm still ahead about $50. No way am I messing with shipping these back.

Kenny Lucas
Brewmaster

Evansville Welding for CO2

Post by Kenny Lucas » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:09 pm

Last tank I had filled at Evansville welding supply cost around $10-$12. Its on the Warrick county side of the 1-64 -Morgan ave. exchange.(access off of oak grove road). Been raped like everyone else at A__gas.

Dwayne_Delaney
Brewmaster

Post by Dwayne_Delaney » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:44 pm

Kenny, was that price for an exchange or a refill?
Dwayne Delaney

Billy Carter

Kenny Lucas
Brewmaster

Post by Kenny Lucas » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:18 pm

It was for an exchange, but if you do a drop off, I think they will fill for the same price.